Thursday, May 23, 2013

BACK FROM THE BIG APPLE

It’s Tony Award voting time for me, and during my recent trip to New York I saw 5 different Tony nominated productions.  KINKY BOOTS, a musical adapted from the movie released in 2005, was probably my favorite so far.  The Orpheum is an investor for this show, so naturally I hope it does well.

The next show that caught my attention was PIPPIN, a musical that - until now - was never one of my favorites.  But this production is fast-paced and takes on a CIRQUE DU SOLEIL type of setting.  Though it doesn't quite match up to KINKY BOOTS, I couldn't help but enjoy this production. 
The Broadway Production of PIPPIN: Photo by Joan Marcus
MOTOWN, the story of Barry Gordy, who nurtured an impressive list of superstars: such as Stevie Wonder, The Jackson Five, The Supremes, The Temptations, and The Tops, was a great trip down memory lane since these were the groups I listened to back in the day.  This musical is a concert with a thin story line.

In the play category, I was greatly impressed with David Hyde Pierce in VANYA and SONIA and MASHA and SPIKE.   Pierce does a rant toward the end of the 2nd Act that should garner him a Tony Award for best performance in a play.  Unfortunately, the name of this play might be its undoing, because - as we learned in Lysistrata Jones - if the name is too difficult to remember, it will receive "zilch" in the word of mouth campaign.  Next week, I'll head back to New York to see RETURN TO BOUNTIFUL, and I look forward to telling you about that experience.

Regarding my other favorite NYC pastime, which is trying to work my way through the 18,781 restaurants in the City, I would like to say that Bobby Flay’s new Bar Americain on West 52nd is a fabulous stop if you happen to be in town.  

Pat Halloran
Orpheum President and CEO

No comments:

Post a Comment