Thursday, August 29, 2013

Local LES MIS


Last week I attended a performance of LES MISERABLES at Playhouse on the Square here in Memphis, and it was fantastic!  This is one of my all-time favorites, and I have seen the show at least 30 times (I know, a little obsessive).  But I could see it 30 more and still be moved by what I believe is possibly the best Broadway musical of all time.  
 
I was expecting a good performance because Playhouse always does great work, but this production was laden with the singing and acting of a cast that could easily slide into any equity company.  I can’t say enough about the talents of this excellent team of actors.  Philip Andrew Himebook as Jean Valjean absolutely blew me away, and it is always amazing for me to see my friend Michael Detroit (who plays Javert) on the stage.  I knew Michael was incredibly talented, but in this show he hits a career high.

I heartily encourage everyone that enjoys great theatre to see LES MISERABLES at Playhouse on the Square, playing through September 15th.  But I would hurry - I wouldn't be surprised if this show sells out fast!

Pat Halloran
Orpheum President and CEO

1 comment:

  1. I had never seen (or listened to) Les Miserables until I watched the 2013 movie. It has made me a huge fan, and my 9 year old son too! We were not able to get to the Playhouse to see their production. I know Les Mis was at the Orpheum in the 2011-12 season, but I would love for it to come back soon so I can take my son! The Orpheum never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete