Friday, October 4, 2013

Real Reality on Reality TV


Maybe it's because I work in the entertainment industry, but America's Got Talent, American Idol, and the X Factor rank high on my list of intriguing reality television.  I don't think I have ever watched a full hour of any of the other reality TV shows like The Great Race or Survivor, and I have never watched more than 30 seconds of The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. 

On Thursday evening's broadcast of the X Factor, a young singer, only 13 years old with a voice like an angel and the sweetest, happiest face, belted out a song with all the talent and charisma of a major recording artist on tour across the country.

What became almost unnoticeable was the young lady's condition called arthrogryposis multiplex congenital, which has left her wrists and hands immobile.  We've all seen someone in our lifetime that had similar differences, but we also know that such challenges can be overcome.  And that's just what this amazing singer has done.  Her name is Rion Paige, and she stole the show from the other contestants.  She will be competing later on in the show.  I hope you'll be watching the X Factor along with me this season and that watching Rion perform will be as moving for you as it was for me. 
 
 
Pat Halloran
Orpheum President and CEO

1 comment:

  1. sorry, rion 's singing is flawed sometimes out of tune, she's getting a pass
    due to her physical challenges, I hope people start focusing on who's
    performing the best, lillies performances were amazing but I imagine young
    people didn't see that.

    ReplyDelete