Wednesday, March 12, 2014

President's Page: Pat Halloran Preps for the Tonys

Kelli O'Hara &Steven Pasquale in
THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY.
Photo by Joan Marcus.
It’s that time of year again in The Big Apple.  Some shows have run their course, as most eventually do with the exception of a blockbuster or two, while new shows are getting settled.  
 
Just like Oscar season, these new shows are competing heavily to get a little Tony Award buzz.  They are working hard to get their show seen by as many Tony voters and critics as they possibly can.  As a Tony voter myself, I am compelled to see as many shows as possible.  However, sometimes a show closes almost as quickly as it opened, and I am always afraid of wasting a valuable night at the theatre for a production that doesn’t have a chance to go the distance.  But overall I do my best to fairly give each of them a fair shot at getting my vote.  

So what did I think were winners on my most recent trip to Broadway?  Well, I have only seen four of this season's newest shows, but it's a start.  If you like Carole King, you will love BEAUTIFUL, The Carole King Musical.  As for THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY (another musical), I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it as much as I did because as much as I enjoy Broadway actress Kelli O’Hara, I had a tough time seeing this movie as a musical.  I kept imagining Clint Eastwood singing, and it just did not work for me – that is, until I gave it a chance!  The Clint Eastwood role was valiantly handled by Steven Pasquale.  So BEAUTIFUL and BRIDGES are shows that I would highly recommend at this early juncture in the spring season.  

On the other hand, I wasn't very crazy about BRONX BOMBERS which was a play about the Yankees.  It closed two days after I saw the show, and I agreed – close it fast!  This "bomb" encouraged me to become a Mets fan as quickly as possible.

Jane Carr & Bryce Pinkham in
A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER.
Photo by Joan Marcus.
The fourth show I have seen in this new crop is A GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER.  To be honest, I am still thinking about this one.  I’m not sure I would recommend it, but at the same time I might even go back to see it again. 

I'll continue to share my Broadway show experiences as we approach the Tony Awards.  And keep an eye out for my Tony predictions when nominees are announced in the coming months!

Pat Halloran
President and CEO

 

No comments:

Post a Comment