Thursday, April 10, 2014

President's Page: Pat Halloran Explains How To Become a Tony Voter

There's no denying that it's Tony Award time in New York.  All of the newest shows are lined up in Broadway theatres, marketing the heck out of themselves.  While box-office sales are most important to any show, as sales are what pays the bills, I would say that the Tony's are probably second on the list - specifically Tony voters.  I am often asked how one becomes a Tony voter, and today, I'm going to tell you. 

To become a Tony Award voter, you must either be a designated voter representing of one of many national industry organizations, or you must fall into one or more of three professional membership categories: Producer (people who raise the funds needed to get a show off the ground), Creative (including writers, actors, choreographers, and composers to name a few), or Presenter (the ones that bring shows to theatres across North America).  The latter is where I got my start, and for the last 12 years I have also qualified as a Producer since I have invested in and helped raise money for more than 15 productions since my first personal investment: the National Tour of SUNSET BOULEVARD.  

To prepare to cast my vote, I have been trying to get to NYC as often as I can to see as many shows as I can, as quickly as I can!  And I'm sure other Tony voters out there are doing the same.

To date I have seen seven of the eighteen shows that I think have a shot at a nomination and, therefore, would be in contention for an award during the Tony ceremony coming up in early June.  I've planned two New York trips in May, which should provide enough time to cover my voter responsibilities.  Keep checking back!  I will continue to tell you all about the shows I've seen, and I'll be posting my Tony predictions right here on Main and Beale before the Tony Awards Show on June 8th.


Pat Halloran
Orpheum President and CEO     

2 comments:

  1. Taking our first trip to NYC in July. I'll probably only have once chance to hit a Broadway show...what would Pat's top 3 don't miss show recommendations? Prefer something I haven't seen at the Orpheum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melissa,

    My first recommendation would be Kinky Boots. Even though it is coming to the Orpheum in 2015, Billy Porter is exceptional in the lead role on Broadway. I would also highly recommend Beautiful: The Carole King Story, which is new to Broadway this year. If you are interested in seeing a play instead of a musical, A Raisin in the Sun featuring Denzel Washington is a must-see. And finally, If/Then would be a great choice. This is one that I still need to see myself, but I am extremely excited to catch it on my next trip. If you're a fan of Idina Menzel (who originated the role of Elphaba in Wicked and was recently featured as the voice of Elsa in Frozen), then this is a great opportunity to see her incredible talents live. Enjoy your trip to New York!

    ReplyDelete