Thursday, May 1, 2014

President's Page: Heading Back to NYC for Tony Picks!

It's no secret that the Tony's are on their way, and Broadway is buzzing with excitement!

As I've mentioned in past posts, I've been gearing up to cast my Tony ballot by seeing as many new shows as possible, such as:
  • BEAUTIFUL The Carole King Story: I loved the music, but it lagged in some parts.  It didn't have the fascinating storyline like, say, JERSEY BOYS does.
  • AFTER MIDNIGHT: A nice jazzy surprise starring Vanessa Williams. 
  • THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY: I was skeptical at first, but the show was very enjoyable.  The new music fit the script surprisingly well.
  • ROCKY The Musical: An amazing surprise with incredible staging for the final fight.

In May, I'll be returning to the Big Apple to round out this year's Tony contenders.  I like to focus on the musicals because that is what we here at the Orpheum Theatre for the most part.  While I do see some plays, there are just too many for me to attend in my limited time in NYC.  On this next trip, I'll be catching some other exciting new titles:
  • IF/THEN: A new musical starring Idina Menzel (of WICKED and Disney's FROZEN fame).  It is sure to get some Tony “buzz” because of her.
  • BULLETS OVER  BROADWAY: This is Woody Allen’s new musical.  It's an adaptation of his movie by the same name that was released in 1994.
  • VIOLET: This new musical stars Sutton Foster, who actually lived in Memphis while in high school and won her first Tony for THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE.
  • ALADDIN: Disney’s newest Broadway production based on the famous animated feature.  Since the Orpheum always presents Disney musicals, I am very anxious to see this one.
As always, I'll post my thoughts, opinions, and reactions to these shows when I return from New York.  I look forward to reporting back to you soon.
 
 
Pat Halloran
President and CEO
 

No comments:

Post a Comment