Thursday, May 29, 2014

President's Page: Pat's Tony Ballot for the Top Awards

have done my due diligence and officially cast my vote for the 2014 Tony Awards.  There were about 14 new musicals, and that is where I focused my attention this year.  Below are my picks for the top prizes, and why I thought they were deserving of my vote.
 
BEST MUSICAL 
I was torn between Beautiful: The Carole King Musical and A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder.  These are two completely different productions.  Being a fan of Carole King, I thought I would slide that way.  It had a wonderful score with all of her top hits.  Then I considered A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.  It was a great comedy with a creative storyline unlike anything I have ever seen on Broadway.  All of the music was original and well  orchestrated.  So in the end, my vote went to A Gentleman’s  Guide to Love and Murder.
 
BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
For me, this was no contest.  I had to go with my favorite musical of all-time: the modern-day classic Les Miserables.  I could sit through this production every week for the rest of my life.
 
BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL and BEST ORIGINAL SCORE WRITTEN FOR THE THEATRE
These categories are separate, but I think I made my case in the BEST MUSICAL section.  A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder won my vote in both categories.   
 
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE IN A MUSICAL
Here is where I paid homage to Beautiful.  Jesse Mueller as Carole King was astounding.  Her performance made you feel like you were listening to a concert by Carole King herself.  She completely embodied the character, and she deserves this award.
 
BEST PERFORMNCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE IN A MUSICAL
There were some excellent nominees in this category.  Andy Karl in Rocky and Jefferson Mays in A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder were phenomenal in their roles, but Neil Patrick Harris in Hedwig and the Angry Inch was a clear stand out.  What a performance!  Neil Patrick Harris gave an hour and fifty minutes of non-stop talent that I will never forget.  
 
I won't go into the technical awards this time, but I will point out one sin of omission: I think the nominating committee for this year's awards did a disservice to Disney’s Aladdin by not honoring the show with a nomination for Best Costume Design.  There must have been 500 costumes in that show, and all of them were spectacular.  
 
All in all this was a pretty good year for the industry.  There were a number of good productions, a great list of stars that we don't normally get to see on Broadway, and what appears to be a nice crop of shows that will go out on tour - shows that might just make a stop at the Orpheum Theatre!
 
Pat Halloran
President and CEO
 

 

Tune in for the Tony Awards on Sunday, June 8th at 7:00 PM Central on CBS.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment