Monday, December 29, 2014

President's Page: Three Decades with the Orpheum

As some you have probably heard, I recently announced my retirement and will hand over the reins to a new President on December 31st, 2015. But I won't be going far. After that I will be moving over to the new Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts & Education to be part of that project's first year of operation.

By the time I leave, it will have been 35 years of pure enjoyment and reward. I never felt like coming to the Orpheum office each day was "going to work".  It felt more like I was going to my favorite hangout to meet up with great friends and do very neat things. 

Before I get too reminiscent, let me make it clear to everyone who has ever been to a show, made a  donation, sponsored an event or project, or served as a Board member, staff member or volunteer: you all made this time so fabulous and provided the incentive for us to reach for higher mountains each and every day.  As the old adage goes, “It takes a village,” and a village indeed responded!  The Orpheum is a small village within the larger Memphis community, and I truly believe that together we have made a difference.   

While I will be on the job for another 12 months, I have much to do in that short time.  I have some special goals in mind.  First, we look ahead to finishing construction of the Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts & Education.  With the new Centre we will be advancing our current 19 education programs and will fine-tune the addition of several new programs designed to serve an even broader segment of our community, offering opportunities for individual growth and development. 

We’ll also make improvements in the historic Orpheum such as refurbished seating, restoration of the interior gold and silver leaf, and plans for future renovations that will help us in our mission to preserve our beautiful theatre. I’ll be working to offer our patrons like you more fabulous Broadway musicals and a wide variety of concerts and special events.    

The contributions you make as the year ends will help us see our vision for the future come to fruition. Consider supporting the Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts & Education with a year-end gift, or create a lasting memory for your loved ones with a personalized brick in the new plaza entry. Please consider making a year-end gift today.

Throughout my years at the Orpheum, you – the Memphis community – have always supported the theatre.  I look forward to working with you through my last year, which looks to be our best year yet.


Pat Halloran
Orpheum President and CEO

1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget back in the mid 80's when I came to the Orpheum to visit with you about trying to save the Kempner Opera House and you opened the doors to welcome me. Indeed you have had a passion for your time in the theatre and I have shared that passion for Arkansas Theatre's. A young entrepreneur has purchased the Malco Theatre here in Hot Springs and I would love for him to meet you sometime and see how passion and hard work can create something that will entertain people for generations to come. Bless you Pat Halloran for all your hard work. I have thought of you often through the years and would love to come see you again. May 2015 be blessed for you and the Orpheum family. Respectfully from a fan, Deborah Phillips-Carroll, Hot Springs, AR

    ReplyDelete